[b-greek] 1 John, 2 Questions

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 00:37:16 EDT

<x-flowed>I John 1:7

EAN DE EN TWi FWTI PERIPATWMEN hWS AUTOS ESTIN EN TWi FWTI,
KOINWNIAN ECOMEN MET ALLHLWN KAI TO hAIMA IHSOU TOU hUIOU AUTOU
KAQARIZEI hHMAS APO PASHS hAMARTIAS

I have two questions here:

1. MET ALLHLWN

Would this MET ALLHLWN refer to:

a) believer with God

b) believer with believer.

c) grammatically, it could be either

d) grammatically, it could be both

2. KAQARIZEI

The Present tense seems to relate this cleansing as occurring simultaneous
with EAN DE EN TWi FWTI PERIPATWMEN.

Is this correct? As we walk in the light, we are being cleansed from sin?
What I am having a hard time understanding is later (Chapter 3) when John
indicates that we can not sin (presumably while we are walking in the
light).

Assuming this correct, are there any grammatical/syntactical indicators that
would resolve this "apparent" contradiction?

I should make my standard disclaimer here. If you feel it necessary to get
overly theological on this question, please respond OFFLIST.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.