[b-greek] re: Jerusalem

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 07:29:18 EDT

<x-flowed>At 05:40 AM 9/25/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, actually there IS a dual in Greek with distinctive endings in each of
>the 3 declensions for nom/acc and gen/dat respectively. They are not found
>in ordinary prose in the Hellenistic period, but they are used in poetry
>and prose of well-educated literary figures, all the more so in the second
>century A.D. and beyond. But Jim is right to the extent that there's no
>dual in the Greek of NT writers.

Interesting. I knew there had been a dual in earlier stages of the
language, but didn't realize that it was still found in the later koine. Is
this an example of Atticism? Or has the dual survived throughout the
Hellenistic period as a "native koine" form?

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm