[b-greek] Phil 1:6 and EN expressing agency

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 14:28:02 EDT

My question concerns Phil. 1:6:
    PEPOIQWS AUTO TOUTO,
            hOTI hO ENARXAMENOS EN hUMIN ERGON AGAQON
        EPITELESEI ACRI hHMERAS XRISTOU IHSOU

For reference:
    Phil 1:5
     EPI THi KOINWNIAi hUMWN
          EIS TO EUAGGELION
          APO THS PRWTHS hHMERAS AXRI TOU NUN

My primary question is:
  What are your thoughts regarding EN expressing agency in this verse?

Currently, my translation is:
  I am confident of this: since your partnering has begun [this] good
  work, it will be completed by the time the age of Messiah Jesus begins.

Some context of my thinking:

1. I don't think ERGON AGAQON refers to sanctification. Sanctification
    doesn't appear to be in scope. However, Paul bubbles with
    thankfulness for their partnering (KOINWNIA) with him as it affects
    the promoting of the gospel (EUAGGELIZW). They not only supported
    him financially, but supplied him with Epaphroditus who obviously

    was a man of substantial character, a large sacrifice for the church.
    These people were involved with Paul's activity. That's why I take
    the referent for ERGON AGAQON to be EUAGGELION (or more specifically
    EUAGGELIZW). This is the `good work' which Paul is talking about.

2. I tend to think of EN, when it expresses agency, to express a deep
    and intimate involvement. The type of sacrifice the Philippian
    church made was of this type.

3. ENARXAMENOS is in the nominative. Verse 5 starts with
        EPI THi KOINWNIAi hUMWN
    and I take that as a point of departure and therefore it establishes
    the topic. ENARXAMENOS being in the nominative then makes perfect
    sense to me if one takes the participle as characterizing the
    action (commencement) the topic has done. That is, the Philippian
    partnership began something, and it will be completed before a
    certain time.

4. ACRI (until) is between "the day of Christ Jesus" and a verb which
    denotes completion. So, I take that to mean the work Paul is
    performing will be completed before that day (day, age, or time).

5. I take hHMERAS XRISTOU IHSOU to be a similar phrase to "the time
    of David" which refers to "the time when David reigned".

There's some interesting eschatological discussions lurking in this
verse. Too bad!!! :-) Off list for those, OK?

Thanks ahead of time.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us