[b-greek] Re: (Mt.10:34-36)

From: l. j. swain (x99swain@wmich.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 10:55:05 EDT

Natali wrote:

> The most authoritative ancient Greek lexicon in Russia is the one of
> A.D.Veisman (Vasman? to my regret, I don’t know correct transliteration). So
> here and further I’ll try to translate from GNT UBS-4 on the ground of this
> lexicon and Machen grammar (adaptation into Russian), with careful attitude,
> as near as I can, towards wonderful semantic domains and constructions of
> GNT.
> Excuse me please for my English. I natively write in Russian.
>
> (Mt.10:34-36) closely to GNT:
> “Do not think that I have come to precipitate (to cast, throw down; to
> strike, injure) peace on the earth; I have not come to precipitate (…)
> peace, but a sword.
> For I have come to set a man against his father, … “
>
> “To precipitate (to throw down…)” is a violent, oppressing action.
> They precipitate into perplexity, dismay and depression. They can throw
> down, or involve by force, only into chaos, war, terror, lawlessness and any
> kind of slave dependence in circumstances.

This seems to me the primary issue you raise. The Greek BALLW however,
has a wider semantic range that I think you allow for. Certainly it can
mean "throw down" but it can also mean just to "throw", to put or place,
to offer, to banish, to sow, to pour. So I think this may be where the
problem lies, it doesn't necessarily mean violence.

Larry Swain