[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor 15:12-13. ANASTATIS NEKRWN

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 06:48:40 EDT

At 1:35 AM -0400 10/2/00, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>]
>> >I have some questions about interpreting 1 Cor 15:12-13.
>> >
>> >EK NEKRWN EGHGERTAI ....
>> >ANASTASIS NEKRWN OUK ESTIN.
>> >

>[Carl]
>> NEKRWN--and that is what "from among the dead" would seem to me to involve;
>> rather it's strictly ablatival, it seems to me.
>>

>So, do you mean that EK NEKRWN EGHGERTAI means "He rose from death",
>and that ANASTASIS NEKRWN means "rising of corpses"?

Yes, although I'm not that hopeful that a simple "yes" resolves the
question. I think that the original NT terminology regarding resurrection
normally implies "resurrection of the body" with the meaning that the
selfhood associated with the the person who has died is reconstituted in
discernible form with which others may interact. This is what Paul refers
to in 1 Cor 15 as a SWMA PNEUMATIKON and he pretty clearly wants to
distinguish it from the SWMA YUCIKON which he understands in terms of
Genesis 2:7 as what I might call "animated dirt" and we might call a
"physical body."

There are thorny questions of how one understands the nature of a
resurrection body here and I am trying not to go beyond what I understand
the text of 1 Cor 15 to say: that (the) NEKROI ANASTHSONTAI/EGERQHSONTAI
and that this doesn't mean simply that corpses become re-animated but that
the persons once endowed with bodies of "animated dirt" assume new
existence in SWMATA PNEUMATIKA. As for the nature of a SWMA PNEUMATIKON, I
personally believe that Paul doesn't offer any explanation of that except
in terms of agricultural metaphors.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu