[b-greek] NT Gateway, Paidagogos & Tyndale Font Kit

From: Mark Goodacre (M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 12:43:25 EDT

Because of the recent expansion of my Greek NT Gateway
(NTGateway.com/greek), I've decided to draw attention to
some of the newer links on my "Featured Links" page at
http://www.ntgateway.com/featured.htm. One of the new
resources is Paidagogos by Tony Larsson, a nice tool to help
the novice learn the alphabet
(http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl8tlars/PedEng.html).

I've also drawn special attention to the "Tyndale Font Kit"
(http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Download/Font_Kit.exe),
assembled by David Instone Brewer. It combines SPIonic
(Scholars Press Greek font), SPTiberian (Scholars Press
Hebrew font) with RTL (right to left) keyboard & added
functionality for SPIonic, e.g. get a theta when you type "th",
or get final sigma, smooth breathings etc. added
automatically. I've spent a bit of time with this kit and am
beginning to get used to it. Those used to using SPIonic will
find it tough at first because several of the key-strokes have
been altered, e.g. H is now a rough breathing rather than an
eta. But I suspect that those who have not used SPIonic
before will find the revisions helpful. I'd be very interested to
hear others' opinions on this font kit. I get a lot of
correspondence asking me about options for fonts and I am
wondering whether this font kit might provide a one-stop
solution for scholars and students. Any thoughts?

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk
  Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
  University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
  Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
  Homepage
http://www.ntgateway.com