[b-greek] PROSKUNEW: its transition

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 17:33:49 EDT

<x-flowed>

I wonder if I might get some feedback on this article I encounter with the
following claims:

In the OT, two prominent characteristics of worship seemed to be: (for
example: Duet. 12:5)

1. At a particular geographical location (temple, synagogue, Jerusalem,
etc.)

2. Manifested by various ritual acts

He says something like this:

"Now, in John 4, Jesus seems to want to re-define the concept of PROSKUNEW.
Rather than it taking place in Jerusalem (or Mount Gerizim), or performed by
ritual acts, he wants to change it to something that we live, seemingly as a
way of life. This, I presume, was a radically different way of thinking
about worship."

Can this be supported lexically? Was PROSKUNEW thought of as involving:
location and rituals.

Lastly, I am interested in this observation:

"PROSKUNEW appears only 6 times in the writings of the Church Fathers,
and in 5 of these, it is used of false religions (in a negative sense). This
word ceased having any positive Christian connotation from the NT onward."

Also, I do not know of the other one. Can someone point me to the other
occurrence of this word in the Church Fathers?

Are there Internet resources that can do this? If so, I would greatly
appreciate someone helping me with this so that in the future I can search
such things as this for myself. (OFFLIST of course)

This author contended that SEBOMAI and LATREUW followed the same path as
PROSKUNEW.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.