[b-greek] Re: Word Order and Zero Anaphora

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 16:24:18 EDT

A few additional observations. I don't think T. Givon is really suggesting
using bound verb morphology for compiling statistics on word order in Hebrew
or any other language such as NT Greek. Givon's main discussion of this
(pages 228-237) demonstrates how diachronic change can be used to explain
the statistical relationships between prefix or suffix verb morphology and
other patterns in clause constituent order.

Therefore the objection I raised is not really a criticism of T. Givon. It
would be a straw man objection since he isn't doing what I object to.
However it is still an intriguing question.

Clay