[b-greek] Re: (Mt.5:39)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 23:05:59 EDT

At 9:39 PM +0600 10/9/00, Natali wrote:
>(?t.5:39) closely to GNT:
>
>And ([a weak opposition, or rather no opposition, and conjunction may be not
>translated here]; because, you know) I expound (word) you not to be opposed
>(not to be involved in opposition, not to be drawn in antagonism) for evil
>(in a literal sense - for "giving much trouble"); but if any one strikes on
>your right (favorable, happy, intelligent, clever, nimble) cheek, it will be
>a turning for him the other (alien) too.

The discussion here really moves outside the range of appropriate concerns
of B-Greek into broader interpretation. Here, please, let's stay focused on
the Greek text rather than on what range of implications we can find in it
after we're sure we've rightly understood the text itself as a Greek
formulation.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu