[b-greek] Re: Sexy words

From: Perry L. Stepp (stratfink@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 10:18:07 EDT

Bart,

I ran across a 1st-2nd century AD reference (I'm not sure where, I'd need to
look it up) where "flute player"/"flute playing" seemed to me (with my
admittedly soiled mind) to be a euphemism for oral sex. This caught my
attention because I've heard of an early Christian retelling of the parable
of the Prodigal Son in which the prodigal is criticized for wasting his
inheritance "on prostitutes and flute players" (again, I'd need to dig
around and find the reference.)

Also, SPERMOLOGOS (Acts 17) always seemed to me to have a rather earthy
edge--"ejaculator of words" or somesuch.

PLStepp

Senior Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. candidate, Baylor University

For me, the lame part of the Sixties was the political
part, the social part. The real part was the spiritual
part.
                           --Jerry Garcia, RS 30 Nov 1989