[b-greek] Re:Exodus 21:22-23 (LXX)

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:07:29 EDT

James Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could some kind person supply me with an English translation of Exodus 21:22-23
> in the LXX, which reads:
>
> (22) EAN DE MACWNTAI DUO ANDRES KAI PATAXWSIN GUNAIKA EN GASTRI
> ECOUSAN KAI EXELQH TO PAIDION AUTHS MH EXEIKONISMENON EPIZHMION
> ZHMIWQHSETAI KAQOTI AN EPIBALH hO ANHR THS GUNAIKOS DWSEI META
> AXIWMATOS
>
> (23) EAN DE EXEIKONISMENON EN DWSEI YUCHN ANTI YUCHS

James,

in verse 23, the EN should read HN; other than that, here's a translation

If two men are fighting, and they strike a pregnant woman, and her not-fully-formed
child comes out, the man should be punished by a fine: in keeping with the court's
decision, he is to pay as much as the woman's husband might demand. But if [the
child] was fully-formed, the man is to give [his] life in exchange for [the child's]
life.