[b-greek] James 1:21

From: One of the McKays (musicke@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 04:53:53 EDT

My pastor and I get together once a week to do a bit of Greek. We are in 1
John, but he is preaching on James and so we were looking at James 1:21 and
discovered that his UBS 3 has a comma after EN PRAUTHTI, but my UBS 3 has no
comma at all.

How do you think this verse should be broken up? Are there any clues? All of
the translations I have consulted put EN PRAUTHTI with DEXASQE. I don't
understand why his later revision of UBS has the comma. Mine is dated 1978
and his is some time in the 80s.

David McKay
musicke@ozemail.com.au
P.S. This is the first time I have had a pastor who had any facility with
Greek at all and it is much appreciated. He was obviously taught well and
attended an excellent theological college. My college wasn't strong on
Greek, but I lapped up all I could get and talked the powers that were into
letting me do it for 4 years.