[b-greek] THN hUOQESIAN APOLABWMEN (Gal 4:5)

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 00:32:55 EDT

Dear Bgreekers,

Recently I had some discussions on who the "we" in Gal 4:3-7 are in
corpus-paul list. Some people think that the clause
"in order that we may receive ADOPTION AS SON" strongly
indicate that the "we" are Gentiles, rather than Jews.
The reasoning is that the Jews were already sons of God, it
would have been odd for them to receive adoption (hUOQESIAN);
that would have been applied only to those who were not sons.

So my question is: does hUOQESIAN only mean adoption? Can't it
simply mean [full] sonship? I am sort of inclined to think
in this direction because it is not simply hUOQESIAN but
THN hUOQESIAN, THE SONSHIP. I mean THE SONESHIP which the infant
heir, who was treated not better than slave, was expected to receive in
due time. Hence the definite article. But I wonder if my wild guess
would have some lexical or syntactical backup.

Sincerely
Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Associate Professor