[b-greek] 1 John questions

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 19:47:41 EDT

<x-flowed>

1 John 3:18

TEKNIA, MH AGAPWMEN LOGWi MHDE THi GLWSSHi ALLA EN ERGWi KAI ALHQEIAi

Are there any syntactical/grammatical clues here that suggests that we add
the word "only" ?

I think one would naturally conclude that John is not discouraging loving in
word or tongue, but that he is discouraging loving ONLY in this manner. In
fact, this seems so obvious, that
perhaps John did not need to add MONON.

What leads me to ask this is that John in his gospel is quite fond of MONON
to convey the idea of "ONLY." (11:52. 5:18, 12:9)

1 John 3:19

[KAI] EN TOUTWi

Are there any grammatical clues as to when such introductory phrases
as this (especially in John's writings) are anaphoric or cataphoric?

I would think that with search engines available now-a-days, someone
could settle this issue. Are there any consistencies when such a phrase
is anaphoric, for example? Or, do we decide each time
based on non-grammatical considerations.

1 John 3:20

hOTI EAN KATAGINWSKHi hHMWN hH KARDIA, hOTI MEIZWN ESTIN hO QEOS
THS KARDIAS hHMWN KAI GINWSKEI PANTA

Finally, could someone help me understand how to translate the second hOTI.
What is making it hard for me, and I do not know why, is the first hOTI.

For ... that

That ... that

Thank you,

Mark Wilson