[b-greek] Re: 1 Peter 4:14

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 06:44:11 EDT

At 10:49 PM +0000 10/24/00, Jon D. Boyd wrote:
>I have two questions on 1 Peter 4:14ff.
>
>Verses 14-16:
>
>EI ONEIDIZESQE EN ONOMATI CRISTOU, MAKARIOI, hOTI TO THS DOXHS KAI TO TOU
>QEOU PNEUMA EF' hUMAS ANAPAUETAI.
>MH YAR TIS hUMWN PASCETW hWS FONEUS H KLEPTHS H KAKOPOIOS H hWS
>ALLOTRIEPISKOPOS;
>EI DE hWS CRISTIANOS, MH AISCUNESQW, DOXAZETW DE TON QEON EN TW ONOMATI
>TOUTW.
>
>(1) This one is for Carl in particular. I have read some of your
>discussions on the mid. and passive forms. Does ONEIDIZESQE have a
>passive sense here, or could it be translated "If you allow yourselves to
>be reviled"?

Responding just to this question, I would certainly say that ONEIDIZESQE
should be understood as a middle voice form, and I think that "let
yourselves be rebuked" is about right; it seems to me that the case is made
clearer by what follows in vs. 15, where being called these names is
something that surely results from voluntary actions that earn the
reproach. So there is choice and commitment of will involved in this
ONEIDIZESQE, even if it results in what others do to oneself.

>(2) I am interested in anyone's comments on EN ONOMATI CRISTOU (v. 14)
>and EN TW ONOMATI TOUTW (v. 16). Does trying to categorize these datives
>relate to the recent thread on scalars? Does it help us to stuff these
>datives into "pigeon holes" (e.g. dat. of sphere, dat. of cause). I find
>the last phrase EN TW ONOMATI TOUTW difficult to categorize (should I
>even try?).

I don't claim to be a professional linguist and I don't know a scalar from
a "scholar" (not sure that I'd recognize either one if I saw him/it--at any
rate, it seems to me that "scholars" fall into gradations along a spectrum;
Clay in a current post on the "smart" thing speaks of "mega scholars" but
my own experience is more of "micro scholars"--I think you'd better ignore
this parenthesis); on the other hand, I'm old fashioned enough to WANT to
put datives into the larger categories of true dative (personal reference),
instrumental, or locative. There's no question but that the instrumental
usage with EN is already found in older Attic, albeit rarely, and is
relatively common in Koine, and I'd be inclined to understand these datives
EN ONOMATI CRISTOU and EN TWi ONOMATI TOUTWi, as instrumentals in the sense
of "by reason of ..." -- which I guess some grammarians would
sub-categorize as dative of cause.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu