[b-greek] Mat 5:18

From: Blahoslav Cicel (most@cb.cz)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 02:41:30 EDT

Hello list,

in my study of Mat 5:17-20 I came to (for my beginners greek) a bit
complicated verse 18. Jesus says:

hEWS AN PARELQHi hO OURANOS KAI hH GH, IWTA hEN H MIA KERAIA OU ME PARELQHi
APO TOU NOMOU hEWS AN PANTA GENHTAI.

Am I right that hEWS AN PARELQHi hO OURANOS KAI hH GH and hEWS AN PANTA
GENHTAI are protasis and IWTA hEN H MIA KERAIA OU ME PARELQHi APO TOU NOMOU
is apodosis?

hEWS determines a time protasis (until...), but in what resutls hEWS AN +
aorist subjunctive?

Could we translate it this way:

Until heaven and earth would disappear,
let not the smallest letter, not a least stroke of a pen, by any means
disappear from the Law,
until everything would be accomplished. ("revised" NIV :-)

Blahoslav Cicel,
pastor of the Church of brothers
Most, in the North of Czecho