[b-greek] Re: Denniston's _The Greek Particles_

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 16:12:42 EST

Why would anyone in their right mind** give a way "Denniston's, "The Greek
Particles"? Since this question has come up off list I suspect that I might
as well say this in public.

I am fiercely pragmatic about my library. Books have to earn a right to take
up shelf space. Denniston had been around for a number of years and was not
earning his shelf space. After 12 years of using H.W. Smyth I have learned
to consult him first on Greek questions outside of the NT. If I had to use
one and only one grammar Smyth would win the top slot. When it comes to
Homer, after consulting Cunliffe, Smyth, Monro, LSJ, Benner, I hardly ever
needed to look at Denniston and when I did he was generally not very
helpful.

This is no doubt my problem not his. Denniston "The Greek Particles" was not
written for latte drinkers living at the end of western civilization.*

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

* "the end of western civilization" has a triple sense here, it is
geographical, temporal and cultural.

**The question about being in ones right mind is a complex one which we will
not go into here since it is off topic. It has been suggested to me numerous
times that anyone spending a thousand hours annually studying ancient Greek
could not be in their right mind.