[b-greek] Re: Mounce NIV English-GNT

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 09:53:16 EST

At 3:24 PM +0100 11/3/00, Wieland Willker wrote:
>Coming in December:
>
>NIV English-Greek New Testament, The
>A Reverse Interlinear
>William D. Mounce, Editor
>ISBN: 0310203775
>Zondervan Publishing House
>Size: 6-1/8 x 9-3/16 - 1536 pp - Price: $49.99, CBD: $34.99
>
>Synopsis: An Interlinear New Testament in which the English text (NIV) is
>primary rather
>than Greek text (as all the other interlinear New Testaments are.)
>
>Catalog Description: The NIV English-Greek New Testament is an
>interlinear with a twist.
>In this volume, the English text (NIV) is the top line of the text, with
>the Greek below
>it, appropriately adjusted to the English, as well as the
>Goodrick/Kohlenberger number and
>the morphological tag (the latter shows exactly what kind of form it is)
>in two separate
>lines below the Greek text. The reader is able can read the English and
>work towards the
>Greek without having much knowledge of Greek

And how many more, I wonder, will, thus empowered, make the claim that they
understand the Greek NT? I certainly begrudge nobody access to Greek, but I
nevertheless marvel at how the allurement of a simple understanding of the
Biblical text and its language is packaged and sold--aye, and at bargain
prices!

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu