[b-greek] Non-conjunctive KAI

From: Paul Toseland (patoseland1@cableinet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 10:31:52 EST

A few weeks ago I queried the function of KAI in 2 Cor 3:6. In
particular, I
asked if there was lexical support for an 'intensive' sense, as some
commentators
presuppose. Clay kindly pointed out the following entry in L&N:

>91.12 KAI : a marker of emphasis, involving surprise and
>unexpectedness ‹
>Œthen, indeed, how is it then, yet. Mt 3:14; Mk 10:26; Mt 13:17.

But in each of the cited examples, KAI is clearly conjunctive. BAGD also
lists
this sense of conjunctive KAI, but not of non-conjunctive KAI. I share
Clay's
frustration with Denniston, which yielded no help on this point either.

So, can anyone help me? Is there lexical support for an 'intensive'
sense of
non-conjunctive KAI (apart from 2 Cor 3:6), or not?

Thanks.

Paul Toseland