[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor. 6:11 a middle translated as a passive.

From: Michael Kinzie (mkinzie@supnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 15:22:54 EST

Thanks.

"Mark Wilson" <emory2oo2@hotmail.com> on 11/03/2000 12:47:33 PM

To: Michael Kinzie/Administration/SUPNET@SUPNET, b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu
cc:

Subject: Re: [b-greek] 1 Cor. 6:11 a middle translated as a passive.

Michael:

You asked:

>I have a question regarding 1 Cor. 6:11... why is this middle translated as
>a passive?

Although one can identify 'passive' actions associated with this washing,
that is not what Paul is stressing.

My answer would be that the middle stresses the individual's participation
in an action or resulting state, as well as highlighting
the benefit accrued to the subject (Corinthians).

These Corinthians were not completely passive in being washed; what initiate
this washing action was their prior faith in Christ.

The middle also stresses that such an action undertaken by the Corinthians
(their faith) was to their benefit. Based on their faith, they were washed.

You can check the archives for discussions on the Middle voice as being
subject-intensive also (with intransitive verbs, as here). But I am still
trying to get a grasp on that idea.

That's my attempt at this.

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.