[b-greek] Re: Mounce NIV English-GNT

From: Patrick Narkinsky (patrick@extremehope.org)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 10:02:44 EST

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Dave Reigle wrote:

> So I conclude that if tools like interlinears can be used to aid
> someone to learn Greek, they can be beneficial. I still cringe when I
> hear someone say "The Greek really says such and such" or worse, "This
> word really means_", but I think this kind of abuse would occur
> whether or not interlinears existed.

Granted that most of the time, when people say "the Greek really means
such and such", they are wrong. But if learning Greek doesn't offer any
real insights into the text, then why learn it? As wrong as most
pronouncements made from the Greek are, isn't that better than simply
depending on a translation?

Patrick

--
Patrick Narkinsky patrick@extremehope.org

"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My Hosanna is
born of a furnace of doubt." -- Fyodor Dostoevski