[b-greek] "styled text" in messages (was: Re: Flashcards)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 10:40:32 EST

At 10:19 AM -0500 11/6/00, YalieFan@aol.com wrote:
>Dear Doug Paul,
>I have a set of classical Greek Vocabulary Cards (3,000 words!) which was
>created by the Vis-Ed company, Visual Education Association, Springfield, OH
>45501. They also have a set of Biblical Greek flashcards, similar in size.
>I use these in my Modern Greek classes at Tarpon Springs High School. I
>quite agree, it is fun and useful to use flashcards.
> What I like about this series is that they give related words on the
>same card. (e.g. adhn, aw, adew - to one's fill, enough, to satiate, to be
>sated with)- hope the Greek font converts to each email system-
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Marianna Steriadis ---

May I take this occasion first of all to welcome you as a new B-Greeker but
secondly to ask you please and advise other list-members once again that we
would prefer that list-members NOT use "styled text" but instead plain
ASCII text in messages to the list. The Greek in the above text came up
fine on my Mac system and screen, but I think it will not when I send this
on to the list in plain text--and it will come up in gobbledygook UNLESS
one happens to have that font installed on one's computer. Therefore I urge
list-members to use plain text for messages,the list's transliteration
scheme (at list's web site) and not to send messages in styled text to
B-Greek. Thanks.

Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu