[b-greek] Re: Antecedent of hWi in I Peter 1:6

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 14:03:28 EST

<x-html>
&gt;Is there any concensus out there about the antecedent of hWi in I Pt
1:6?<br>
Not sure if there is any consensus, but if you're working in this text,
perhaps you'd find of interest a file that I posted just yesterday: a
detailed grammatical diagram of 1 Pt. 1:3-12--in which I diagram it as
referring to KAIRWi. (.pdf format):<br>
That's the direct document link; it is indexed/linked on my regular NT
Resources page; see URL below.)<br>
Some of the syntax if this paragraph is difficult, so I'm open to any
feedback on gram/syn decisions that I've made.</blockquote><br>
Rod:<br>
Concerning EN hWi, the current GRAMCORD has it as masculine, but its on
my list of things to add alternates to...so in the next release it will
have an alternate tag as neuter as well; esp., given the discussions of
the phrase in BAGD under hOS and EN.&nbsp; I personally think there's a
lot to be said for BAGD's rendition &quot;circumstantially, of the
condition(s) under which someth. takes place&quot; (EN IV.6.e.; hOS
I.11.c).<br>
Nice job on the diagram...you and I did the same things throughout,
except for a few connecting lines, and three other things.&nbsp; On the
infinitive APOKALUFQHNAI I think you meant to have the double line
bi-sect, not intersect the base line to indicate the infinitive (unless
you meant that it was some sort of double accusative?).&nbsp; Its a
difficult construction; I find myself tempted to &quot;fill in the
blanks&quot; when these kinds of things occur.&nbsp; Its seems obvious
that something is missing here; note BAGD's note under hETOIMOS
&quot;infin. of purpose&quot;.&nbsp; I think what's going on is that a
relative pronoun functioning as the subject of the infintive is missing
or the infinitive is epexegetical to SWTHRIAN; in either case: &quot;a
prepared salvation (which is) to be revealed...&quot;&nbsp; I think the
English &quot;ready to be revealed&quot; is somewhat misleading and would
more appropriate to MELLW, ie., I don't think the Greek is saying that
the salvation &quot;is about to be revealed&quot;, but that whatever was
necessary to get it ready/prepared to function correctly has
happened.&nbsp; The other thing is the DEON, which is difficult for sure,
esp., since its this frozen neuter sing form.&nbsp; I can't decide if its
supposed to be supplementary to ESTIN (even when its only implied) with
LUPHQENTES as a circumstantial ptc of purpose (your diagram ?!), or as a
predicate with the participle as the subject (sort of constructio ad
sensum).&nbsp; Also on the ptcs APOLLUMENOU and DOKIMAZOMENOU, I put the
article on the line in front of DE indicating that it governs both of
those adj ptcs.<br>
See you at ETS...<br>

Languages&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Multnomah Bible
College</div>
Street&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Portland, OR&nbsp; 97220</div>
FAX:503-254-1268&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com

---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>