[b-greek] Re: Acts 14:23a First Question for me

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 23:36:43 EST

on 11/08/00 12:09 PM, Alan B. Thomas wrote:

Alan,

I am not sure that Luke addresses your question. In other words it seems
that you are putting a question to the text which the text does not address.

KATA in XEIROTONHSANTES DE PRESBUTEROUS KAT' EKKLHSIAN . . .

might be thought of as distributional (See Louw & Nida 89:90). Luke appears
to be saying that some PRESBUTEROUS were selected in/for every EKKLHSIAN.

There are a few more comments below:

> (Acts 14:21b
>
> hUPESTREFAN EIS THN LUSTRAN KAI IKONION KAI
> ANTIOCEIAN)
>

> Acts 14:23a
>
> CEIROTONHSANTES DE AUTOIS PRESBUTEROUS KAT' EKKLHSIAN
>

> I am trying to understand the "numerical distribution"
> alternatives allowed here.
>
> What I am trying to determine is which alternatives
> are allowed or eliminated by this construction:
> PRESBUTEROUS KAT' EKKLHSIAN
>
> But first, (contextually) is the expression KAT'
> EKKLHSIAN used of the three locations mentioned in
> verse 21: Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch?

Perhaps, but I am not sure that the comments in v. 23 would be restricted to
ONLY these locations.

> Next, concerning the phrase PRESBUTEROUS KAT'
> EKKLHSIAN, which alternatives are allowed:
>
> 1. One elder to one (per) local assembly
>
> Grammatically allowed? Yes No

If Luke had wanted to nail this down specifically he had means at his
disposal to do this. He didn't do that so while this distribution is allowed
it is not specified.

> 2. Multiple elders to one local assembly
>
> Grammatically allowed? Yes No

Allowed yes, but not specified.

> 3. Multiple elders to multiple local assemblies
>
> Grammatically allowed? Yes No

See previous comments.

The whole problem with trying to apply some sort of distributional math to
Luke's narrative is that it violates the authors intended purpose. Luke was
telling us what happened not laying down an ecclesiastical framework.

Luke's statement here is just as precise as it needed to be to convey his
meaning. It does not (IMHO) even address your concerns since they were the
furthest thing from Luke's mind.

Welcome to b-greek :-)))

Clay

--