[b-greek] Re: A question about koine pronunciation

From: Marilyn Phemister (m_phemister@eudoramail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 17:54:17 EST

<x-flowed>
At 03:01 PM 11/09/2000 -0600,
>I do have a somewhat irreverent and very pragmatic approach to this
>problem; the primary reason for vocalizing Ancient Greek is to add the
>aural reinforcement to the visual and intellectual recognition of words: to
>HEAR a word one is becoming intimately familiar with contributes immensely
>to making it a concrete experience of physical reality, not just the
>printed symbol on the page.

I agree. However my reason for wanting it recorded is to preserve my
access to the Greek New Testament in the event that I lose my central
vision, which is a 40% possibility within the next 4-5 years.

> But to endeavor to attain THE SINGLE RIGHT
>pronunciation of ancient Greek is of some questionable degree of value.

I agree. The only reason I have pursued that is in the hope that I might
be able to share my efforts with others in a similar situation. If I don't
share it, then naturally it doesn't really matter whether it's right or
not, as long as I can understand it.

>but the phenomenon of "itacism" has reduced U, I, EI, H, OI to a
>scarcely-distinguishable vowel sound; I think that the reinforcement of
>sound in learning Greek is better enhanced by using even an arbitrary
>pronunciation that distinguishes the vowel sounds.

I think that's what I need. I can read the GNT fluently when I can see
it. But when I listen to it with the modern Greek pronunciation, I am
totally lost.

Thanks Carl, your message has been enlightening to me.

Marilyn Phemister