[b-greek] Re: Recorded NT Greek and Latin

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 12:01:05 EST

At 09:54 PM 11/10/00 -0700, Wayne Leman wrote:
>I have now visited the website, Ted. I'm curious about one of the header
>words on it:
>
>"This web site offers high-quality audio-recorded readings of the New
>Testament
>in fluid koine Greek and vulgate Latin "
>
>What is "fluid" koine Greek? Might "fluid" be the kind of typo I've been
>making increasingly with advancing age, perhaps a substitute for "fluent"?

I think "fluid" is correct. The recordings present a very rapid
reading of Greek and Latin. I do have some trouble over the
terms "koine" and "vulgate". Although the words accurately reflect
the text that is read, the pronunciation does not appear to be either
Koine or Vulgate. The Greek pronunciation that of pure modern
Greek, which aids in the fluidity of the reading, but confounds
too many vowels for Koine. (I would prefer to have Randall
Buth's proposed pronunciation). The Latin is neither classical
(OK because Jerome is post classical) nor ecclesiastical. For
example, the 'c' in "vocem" was pronounced as /s/ ('s') but not
as /k/ ('k') as in classical Latin nor as /t$/ ('ch') as in the
eccelsiastical (Italianate, "more Romano") pronunication.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com