[b-greek] Re: EN EKEINWi TWi KAIRWi = TOTE ???

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 16:10:37 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>

> I don't think KAIROS has to be a "divinely appointed" time, although
> clearly enough it's sometimes used that way. Originally it seems to have
> referred to the point at which seasons change, i.e. solstice, equinox.

In liturgical Greek KAIROS takes on the significance of special moment in
time, for example now is the TIME of salvation. The actions of liturgy are
outside CHRONOS but are KAIROS. The phenomena of the "Liturgical Today" is
also reflected in this understanding. The texts speak of events like the
Baptism or Resurrection of Christ happening TODAY. The faithful experience
and participate in the actual events, which obviously cannot happen in
linear time. But in the time of KAIROS we do experience and participate in
the event.

Steve Puluka
Chair of the Adult Education Committee