[b-greek] Re: EN EKEINWi TWi KAIRWi = TOTE ???

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 21:26:57 EST

Steve Puluka wrote;

>In liturgical Greek KAIROS takes on the significance of special moment in
>time, for example now is the TIME of salvation. The actions of liturgy are
>outside CHRONOS but are KAIROS. The phenomena of the "Liturgical Today" is
>also reflected in this understanding. The texts speak of events like the
>Baptism or Resurrection of Christ happening TODAY. The faithful experience
>and participate in the actual events, which obviously cannot happen in
>linear time. But in the time of KAIROS we do experience and participate in
>the event.

I would agree with Carl Conrad that this is reading too much back into
Koine Greek. The word KAIROS is interesting even in modern Greek. Note the
question in modern Greek, PWS EINAI hO KAIROS; "How is the weather?"

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net