[b-greek] Re: 1 Thess 4:17 and KAI hOUTWS

From: Alex / Ali (alexali@surf.net.au)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 07:21:29 EST

David Luckensmeyer asked re 1 Thess 4:17 and KAI hOUTWS, and Pieter W. van
der Horst's preference for the translation "only then" as opposed to "and
so".

hOI NEKROI EN CRISTWi ANASTHSONTAI PRWTON, EPEITA hHMEIS hOI ZWNTES hOI
PERILEIPOMENOI hAMA SUN AUTOIS hARPAGHSOMEQA EN NEFELAIS EIS APANTHSIN
TOU KURIOU EIS AERA; KAI hOUTWS PANTOTE SUN KURIWi ESOMEQA

>1. How should I understand KAI hOUTWS in 1 Thess 4:17?
It depends perhaps on whether this means 'how should I translate it'? I
mentioned in a recent post to BGreek that sometimes translation into English
forces us to resolve ambiguities, and I'm wondering if you are questioning
whether KAI hOUTWS is ambiguous enough to mean either "and so" or "only
then". In this instance, though, I wouldn't see an ambiguity. The sense
"only then" could only be derived from any colouration that KAI hOUTWS may
have in context. The words of themselves simply mean "and thus".

>2. Does the presence of EPEITA at the beginning of 4:17 bear on the issue?
Rather than the EPEITA, I'd think the closer EIS APANTHSIN TOU KURIOU bears
more strongly on the KAI hOUTWS here.

>3. Is the difference between the alternatives, "and so" / "only then",
significant anyway?
I have FFBruce in front of me and my understanding of the passage differs in
part from his, but I wouldn't place weight on KAI hOUTWS or disagree with
him on that; how others would use such "alternatives", I don't know except
to say that I do think that to attach great significance to KAI hOUTWS would
be drawing rather a long bow.

Dr Alex Hopkins (Melbourne, Australia)

PS Greetings from further south and a little cooler, David. Good to see
another Aussie on the list.