[b-greek] SBL

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 08:30:48 EST

Howdy from Nashville. There have been some really excellent papers
presented during the first day of the conference and the second (today) will
no doubt be as interesting.

On a personal note- I am both saddened and happy to report that the long
expected BDAG is available (which means I have to sing my little song and
provide a photo of same).

It was nice to meet the various list participants at the Gramcord booth
yesterday morning. Without exception all were terribly pleasant. (well
except when a couple of them - and they know who they are- razzed me about
the lexicon). ;-)

The most intriguing paper I have heard to this point was one on the Iron Age
dimensions of Jerusalem; dimensions determined by the setting of cemetaries
around the edges of the area from that period. The argument was simply made
that in the Iron Age cemetaries lie outside cities and that the various
neighborhoods had their own outside where they dwelt. Thus, when one
coordinates these cemetaries one discovers that Jerusalem in the 10th c. was
very large- even larger than previously believed.

Perhaps another update will be fothcoming after the sessions today (I will
be at the Historical Jesus meetings for the most part).

Jim

"If life gives you a bowl of lemons, go find an annoying guy
with paper cuts. Make it worthwhile!"
     - Jack Handey

Jim West, ThD
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest