[b-greek] Re: b-greek digest: November 15, 2000

From: Jason Hare (language_lover64801@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 15:15:33 EST

<< BOULOMAI OUN PROSEUCESQAI TOUS ANDRAS

EN PANTI TOPWi
EPAIRONTAS hOSIOUS CEIRAS
CWRIS ORGHS KAI DIALOGISMOU

Would each phrase modify PROSEUCESQAI? >>

I think, rather, that they modify ANDRAS. "men in every place, having
raised holy hands, without wrath and dispute."

<< Describing hands as hOSIOUS would seem to indicate
that this expression is not to be taken in a literal
way, or to say it positively, perhaps this would
indicate that this expression is to be understood
symbolically. >>

Are you meaning the entire lifting of hands to be symbolic, as in, raising
their actions as sacred worship, or something such? I don't know about
this.

<< I have come across the "raising of hands" during
prayer in the Old Testament, but not with any specific
attention drawn to the state of the hands (other than
being elevated).

Is anyone aware of this adjective modifying CEIR
elsewhere? >>

I don't know. I only have NT sources here... no LXX concordance (though, I
am getting one next month *smile*). I will see if I can find it, though.

Regards,
Jason
Jason A. Hare
Ozark Christian College