[b-greek] Re: Greek drop outs

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 15:24:55 EST

"Alan B. Thomas" wrote [snipped]:

> My final comment regards this comment by Daniel:
>
> It's simple mathematics: remember 1Greek word and the
> meaning? or the 1 Greek word, and a phrase/picture,
> and the meaning? I'll choose the shorter version any
> day of the week.
>
> I wish I could agree with you. But this is exactly
> what the Rutgers and Georgetown studies
> found to be false. I will look for the articles on
> these studies. I think it will help you
> see why a person's memory operates on a visual level
> first. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Basically, the independent studies confirmed the
> visualization method of learning (retention),
> regardless of one's previous study method preference.

    Alan, I am aware of similar studies; however, I can point without any doubt to
at least one person who does very well in language work without visualization work,
and very poorly with it. Me! And this is why I mentioned that I mighht expect to
hear about this from Dale Wheeler--we have had this discussion a number of times.
My reference to it simply being mathematically easier to memorize 1 word than a set
of phrases or pictures, was really tongue-in-cheek. If an entire sequence of
thoughts helps one recall a word/meaning/concept, by all means it should be used;
however, regardless of the various studies, it is not true that visualization works
better for everyone. I may be weird (and Dr. Wheeler can feel free to not comment
on this, as well) but I have been long convinced that my conceptual and memory
faculties do not work in a primarily visual manner. It is possible that the great
majority of humans (or those who are likely to be tested in such experiments) do
work in this way, but there is a real gap between most and all.

Daniel
--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Professor of Biblical Languages, Portland Bible College