[b-greek] AUTOU in John 9:6

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@plantnet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 15:18:03 EST

<x-flowed>
To: Don Larsen,

<< My query concerns word order in John 9 - the position of genitive
personal pronouns. The first example is in Jn. 9:6: KAI EPECRISEN AUTOU TON
PHLON EPI TOUS OFQALMOUS... The genitive personal pronoun precedes rather
than follows the word it modifies by possession. This pattern then recurs
in the chapter in verses 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 21, 26, and 30. The
construction modified by possession is always either EPI TOUS OFQALMOUS or
TOUS OFQALMOUS. >>

A. T. Robertson writes:

<< It will not do to say that emphasis alone explains every unusual order
of words in a Greek sentence. Take Jo. 9:6, for instance, EPEQHKEN AUTOU
TON PHLON EPI TOUS OFQALMOUS. Here AUTOU is entirely removed from OFQALMOUS
and is without particular emphasis >> (419-420).

Of course, Robertson is working with a different variant reading.

I wonder if AUTOU might not be better understood as the object of the verb?
Literally, "he anointed (or "placed upon") him with clay upon the eyes." (I
don't mean to suggest that this is a good English translation, only this is
how one might "understand" the Greek.) Or am I mistaken here?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@plantnet.com