[b-greek] Re: Luke references

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 18:48:53 EST

On 11/22/00 11:46 AM, Steven Craig Miller wrote:

> On the other hand, if you goal is just some help on translating the Greek
> text of Luke, I would not recommend any commentary. Although occasionally
> (in my experience, "rarely") they can be of some help, there are better
> ways (than reading a commentary) to learn and study Greek.

Steven,

Your last point is well taken. I am in the process of diagramming the Greek
NT (using the Accordance diagramming tool), and the sad fact is that most
commentaries based on the Greek text hardly ever deal with the true
intricacies of Greek grammar and syntax. It's something one doesn't tend to
notice unless forced to account for relationships between words, phrases,
clauses, sentences, paragraphs, etc. It is then that it becomes apparent
that there is very little serious attempt to come to grips with some of the
more baffling phenomena of the language, unless the material in question is,
in the opinion of the author, "theologically significant." I think works on
exegetical syntax are much more helpful in this regard, but even they are
limited in the number of examples they can present. This doesn't by any
means imply that commentaries are useless, just that they are limited in
their ability to help one grapple with many of the more unusual
constructions confronted in the GNT (assuming one is actually thinking about
such things while in the course of reading!).

Steve Lo Vullo