[b-greek] LXX vs MT in the NT

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 09:18:49 EST

<x-flowed>
To: Jeffrey R Fisher,

<< I am looking for a comparison of OT scriptures quoted in the NT that
show which are quotes from the LXX and which are quoted from the MT or some
other all together. Has anyone got such a chart? >>

The suggestion that one look at Archer & Chirichigno [1983] is a good one.
And perhaps the web-sites cited will be of some value (I haven't looked at
them), but beware of simple solutions. First of all, there is not always an
agreement as to what should count as a "quotation" (as opposed to an
allusion). Once that problem has been "solved" to one's own satisfaction,
it is often impossible to know whether the quotation was taken from the LXX
or the MT (or someplace else). If you think about, only when there are
significant differences between the LXX and MT texts is it possible to make
some sort of an assessment, thus the vast majority will simply be unknown
(that is, it could have been translated directly from the MT or quoted from
the LXX).

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@plantnet.com