[b-greek] BDAG

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 10:40:59 EST

<x-flowed>
To: Rob Somers,

A number of years ago I heard Danker give an explanation of the new BDAG at
a local SBL meeting. My impression was that the biggest difference between
the second (BAGD) and third editions (BDAG) is that BDAG is supposed to get
away from merely presenting English glosses for Greek words and in its
place present "definitions" for Greek words, based on modern semantics. The
impression given (by Danker) was that this will revolutionize NT Greek
lexicography. Danker also noted that the (then) recent German edition of
Bauer's lexicon (by Aland, I think) failed to included Danker's many
improvements in his second edition and thus German students really need to
use his English translation.

If I'm not mistaken, the suggested abbreviations are supposed to be:
BAG = 1st English edition;
BAGD = 2nd English edition; and
BDAG = 3rd English edition.

-Steven Craig Miller