[b-greek] question about James 4:1-2

From: Rob Somers (robsomers@golden.net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 18:56:58 EST

Ok, I have two querstions:

Firstly, in James 4:1

POTHEN POLEMOI KAI POTHEN MACHAI EN hUMIN; OUK
ENTEUTHEN EK TWN hHDONWN hUMWN TWN STRATEUOMENWN EN TOIS
MELESIN hUMWN;

    I am assuming that James is addressing a sort of a general audience (or
at least more than one person) because of EN hUMIN --- but what about
at the end of the verse -- EN TOIS MELESIN hUMWN --- is this
referring to members of the church (as a general statement), or does it mean
members of the body (more specific) where the pleasures wage war? I tend to
lean more to a specific sense, but I have wondered about the a more general
sense too.

Secondly, in James 4:2

EPITHUMEITE KAI OUK ECHETE, PHONEUETE KAI ZHLOUTE KAI
OU DUNASTHE EPITUCHEIN, MACHESTHE KAI POLEMEITE, OUK ECHETE
DIA TO MH AITEISTHE hUMAS

The question here is one of punctuation. Robertson, in his "word Pictures
in the New Testament" likes to translate the first portion something like
this (at least this is my understanding)

"You lust, and you do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot
obtain, and (as a result) you fight and war."

This follows closely with my NASB, and it is similar to the NRSV, regarding
punctuation -- however, the puntuation in the UBS GNT is not like this, and
to translate it with their punctuation would get a little different sense.
It would seem that PHONEUETE is connected to ZHLOUTE and so on by the KAI
(is KAI not a coordinating conjuntion?) so I wonder how to connect it to
the first part -- also, the translation in English seems a little odd to
connect PHONEUETE to the first part -- e.g.

"You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. And you are envious and
cannot obtain..."

Note the second sentence, "And you are envious..." I always considered it
to be poor English grammar usage to begin a sentence with an "And." My
problem is that this passage is part of my sermon for this week, and my
congregation reads out of the King James version -- there is a fair
difference between what I would like to say about this passage (I like the
view Robertson holds) and what their Bibles say -- I am afraid to bring
this up, as there could be confusion. Above all, I don't think it is a good
idea to go into my church and not have an answer for them. At school it is
good to discuss different opinions and ideas, but I have a feeling that
would be harmful at church. At any rate, if anyone can help me sort this
out (I hope you all understand what I am asking) I would appreciate it
muchly. Thanks

Rob Somers

Did you know that the banana is the
atheist's worst nightmare?