[b-greek] Re: question about James 4:1-2

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 21:11:25 EST

Dear Rob,

I incline to the specific sense of "members" in Jas 4:1 referring to
members of the body, because there is no nearby reference to church
membership and because the NT uses "members" to refers to parts of the
human body.

I am not sympathetic to Robertson's rendering of 4:2 for the reason you
give, and also for the parallelism that the UBS division brings out:

You desire and do not have; you kill and are jealous and are not able to
obtain; you fight and war. You do not have because you do not ask; you ask
and do not receive because you ask wrongly, that you might spend it on your
pleasures.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard