[b-greek] Greek 101 drop outs - my last reply

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 11:38:47 EST

<x-flowed>

Randall:

I mean no disrespect, but you do not have a grasp of Mnemonics. Mnemonics
was created thousands of years ago based on the way the human brain works.
There are no tricks involved, and nothing will hinder you from mastering a
foreign language by memorizing things. Yes, Mnemonics employs techniques,
but these techniques are borne out of an understanding of the human brain.

Elephant (Dumbo) or 38M79J2812

Unconsciously, your brain envisions the first item above, but can not
envision the second item (even if it were you phone number).

That is all there is to Mnemonics. No tricks, no gimmicks. That's all there
is to it. It just approaches "learning" in a way that corresponds to the
inherent set-up of the human brain.

If I mention your mother to you, a mental image will come up in your brain,
but that will not in the least hinder you from any conversation we have
about her. You will not say, "Slow down, my mind is still envisioning my
mother." Basically, you have made assumptions about the brain and Mnemonics
that are simply far from true. I can assure you of this.

The brain is one of the most remarkable "machines" in human existence. Its
capabilities are not even remotely reached by human effort.

However, I feel like sometimes trying to tell someone about Mnemonics is
like trying to describe how it feels when your own 6-year-old daughter dies
in your arms. If you haven't ever "experienced" that, you will never
understand it. (And may I be quick to add, I hope no one else ever has to
experience that.)

Since I find myself needing to defend Mnemonics more than specific B-Greek
issues, I think I should at this point cease my involvement in this thread.

Again, Randall, I mean no disrespect! I have just personally experienced the
by-products of a proper deployment of the principles of Mnemonics, and have
seen many others come to understand it. The pace at which Mnemonic students
can remember AND RETAIN information has been confirmed by ALL STUDIES on

this topic.

Remember, once a Greek word is memorized by the principles of Mnemonics, and
then you run across it several times by reading (that's usage), your brain
will no longer search for an image; you can "force" your brain to recall the
image, but it no longer needs to, so it simply does not go through that step
any longer. In other words, you "know" that word, the brain is now familar
with it. (Some contend that the image is still recalled at a subconscious
level, based on the fact that you can recall it if you so choose; but, how
do you prove THAT?)

Thank you,

Mark Wilson