[b-greek] Re: question about james 5:14

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 20:17:51 EST

"Steven R. Lo Vullo" <doulos@chorus.net> said:
> Perhaps with "expressed" rather than "asked." Surely a rhetorical
> question is "expressed." I think perhaps there is a little bit of
> semantic nitpicking here. :-)

Actually, it's sort of a perverse marriage of syntactic and semantic
nitpicking. Perhaps we could switch to being pragmatic? <chuckle>

> Remember, in the context of my response
> the only point I was making was that even a rhetorical question is
> *recognized* as a question. Otherwise we would not call it a
> rhetorical *question*.

Syntactically, it "appears" as a question. Semantically, it isn't. If it
were, the author/speaker would wait for an answer.

It is a clever way of involving the reader though, don't you think?

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us