[b-greek] Re: question about james 5:14

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 01:26:00 EST

Dear Rob,

> I have done more thinking about this, and to translate it like a statement
> certainly does not make for good English necessarily -- it seems to sound a
> little wooden almost -- I supplied the translation (above) "The one who is
> sick among you...," which is not really correct -- The more I think about
> this, the more difficult it seems to get -- I have learned in just a few
> short days what a long road I have to travel in becoming anywhere near
> proficient at Greek.

I am new to this list, but trying it out. It has been interesting to listen in so
far.

In an earlier message I made a little comment, but after I had sent it off, I checked
again and realized I had made a mistake. Since I am on furlough at the moment, I
don't have access to most of my books, including the Greek texts I normally use. So I
got confused by the apparatus in an unfamiliar Old Greek NT that was lying around.
The line I wrote about Bernard Weiss was wrong.

Actually, the NT I was looking at is an old Nestle-Aland, 25th edition. It has the
three sentences as questions, not statements, in the text. The apparatus stated that
Weiss had interpreted them as statements, not questions. In my comment, I mixed up
what was in the text and what was in the apparatus.

I don't have access to various versions of the UBS GNT before the fourth edition, but
I am wondering if some of the earlier versions did not have these three as questions.
Otherwise, your interlinear may be using an older Nestle-Aland text.

You are right. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me that they
are best interpreted as (rhetorical) questions. Others who are better Greek scholars
may enlighten me. However, that does not mean that they necessarily have to be
translated as questions into another language. It depends on how various languages
use rhetorical questions.

Sincerely,
Iver Larsen