[b-greek] The usage of TOU + Infinitive in Gal 3:10

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 04:58:21 EST

Dear bgreeker,
I recently read a surprising interpretation of Gal 3:10, specifically

Epikataratos pas hos ouk emmenei pasin tois gegrammenois en tw bibliw
tou nomou tou poihsai auta.

I wonder if that interpretation is grammatically possible.

The usual translation of this verse is as follows:

Cursed is everyone who does not remain in all things
written in the book of the law to do them.

But it suddently occurred to me that parsing this sentence is
not as simple as I thought. I would like to know whatt
other people think. THe sentence can be parsed in three ways:

1)
[ hOS OUK EMMENEI PASIN TOIS
      [GEGRAMMENOIS [EN TWi BIBLIWi TOU NOMOU]
       [TOU POIHSAI AUTA]
      ]
]

Here we have "were written in the book of the Law (for the
people) to do them". One problem with this parsing is that
we need to supply the implied subject of TOU POIHSAI AUTA.
Is it no problem here?

2)
 [ hOS OUK [
              [EMMENEI [PASIN TOIS GEGRAMMENOIS EN TWi BIBLIWi TOU NOMOU]
               [TOU POIHSAI AUTA ]
              ]
            ]
 ]

Here we have "remain in all things written in the book of the law, to do
them".

We might translate it as
"remain in all things written in the book of the law and do them"

What would be the problem with this rendering?

3)

 [ hOS [OUK EMMENEI PASIN TOIS GEGRAMMENOIS EN TWi BIBLIWi TOU NOMOU]
        [TOU POIHSAI AUTA ]
 ]

Here we have "not remain in all things written in the book of the law,
              to do them".

Actually the interpretation I mentioned suggests the following
translation:

not remain in all things written in the book of the law, by DOING them.

The actual interpretation suggested is
"NOT REMAIN in all things written in the book of the law,
 BY DOING THEM EXTERNALLY."

I just want to know whether such a rendering is grammatically
possible. I have two specific questions.

a) Is the parsing shown in 3) grammatically possible?
b) Can TOU POIHSAI AUTA be used as an adverbial clause
    that describe means, so that we can translate it
as "BY doing them"?

I know that TOU + INF is usually used to describe purpose or result.

Note: the author of the interpretation suggests it without any
grammatical analysis.

Moon

Associate Professor
Dept of Digial Media
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

people may do them. the Lawlawose things
The He I woul"To do them" (TOU POIHSAI AUTA)