[b-greek] Re: hOUTOS/EKEINOS

From: S. Kanary (info@kanarysweb.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 22:24:54 EST

Hi, this is my first post, and my only qualification for being on this list
is that I am keenly interested in what the Bible actually says, and I know
how to read. :-)

That being said, I would most humbly like to ask a question to see what
"grayer heads" might have to say.

Would some light be shed on the meaning of "genea" if Matthew's gospel had
originally been written in Hebrew? The reason I suggest this is that I have
found the following:

External evidence to the effect that Matthew originally wrote this Gospel in
Hebrew reaches as far back as Papias of Hierapolis, of the second century
C.E. Eusebius quoted Papias as stating: "Matthew collected the oracles in
the Hebrew language." (The Ecclesiastical History, III, XXXIX, 16) Early in
the third century, Origen made reference to Matthew's account and, in
discussing the four Gospels, is quoted by Eusebius as saying that the "first
was written . . . according to Matthew, who was once a tax-collector but
afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, . . . in the Hebrew language." (The
Ecclesiastical History, VI, XXV, 3-6) The scholar Jerome (of the fourth and
fifth centuries C.E.) wrote in his work De viris inlustribus (Concerning
Illustrious Men), chapter III, that Matthew "composed a Gospel of Christ in
Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters for the benefit of those of the
circumcision who had believed. . . . Moreover, the Hebrew itself is
preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus
so diligently collected."-Translation from the Latin text edited by E. C.
Richardson and published in the series "Texte und Untersuchungen zur
Geschichte der altchristlichen Literatur," Leipzig, 1896, Vol. 14, pp. 8, 9.

Sarah Kanary

Kanary's Web
http://www.kanarysweb.com/
info@kanarysweb.com