[b-greek] Re: Discoourse cohesion, Zero Anaphora & Maj Text

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 14:47:24 EST

on 12/04/00 10:36 AM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> A full noun phrase used to indicate a participant is a means of introducing
> new participants or reintroducing old participants who have not been active
> in the discourse for a significant span or where there are a number of
> participants active and some confusion over person dexis is possible, for
> example in a dialog.

Matt,

There are a number of other reasons that a full noun phrase may be used.
Point of departure is one of them as discussed extensively in *Levinsohn. In
Mark 11:11 and 11:15 the impact of using a full noun phrase hO IHSOUS in
the Maj Text could be understood as a point of departure. If that is the
case then hO IHSOUS of the lack of hO IHSOUS in Mk 11:11/15 is significant
for discourse analysis. A point of departure is a disruption of discourse
coherence.

I think it is quite possible that we are talking about discourse coherence
from slightly different perspectives. I appreciate your comments. Always
good to hear from Roehampton. Not quite sure if this is the same Roehampton
that I am thinking of, you know Stephanie Black, Cindy Westfall, Gustavo
Martin, Stanley . . .

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek, 2nd Ed.
 SIL 2000.