[b-greek] Re: Discoourse cohesion, Zero Anaphora & Maj Text

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 16:10:53 EST

on 12/04/00 11:47 AM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Matt,
>
> There are a number of other reasons that a full noun phrase may be used. Point
> of departure is one of them as discussed extensively in *Levinsohn. In Mark
> 11:11 and 11:15 the impact of using a full noun phrase hO IHSOUS in the Maj
> Text could be understood as a point of departure. If that is the case then hO
> IHSOUS of the lack of hO IHSOUS in Mk 11:11/15 is significant for discourse
> analysis. A point of departure is a disruption of discourse coherence.

Matt,

One more comment. I just took a look at *Levinsohn (8.3, page 142-3) under
reference to global VIPs (Very Important Participant, only one per discourse
segment). According to Levinsohn the default encoding for the global VIP is
no overt reference. The global VIP is only referenced as a full noun phrase
for two reasons:

1 - a major break in the story
2 - a key speech or action

This is not identical but closely related to the point I was trying to make.
Perhaps a better term would have been continuity rather than coherence. The
introduction of the global VIP with a full noun phrase is a break in
discourse continuity. It may also have a negative impact on the discourse
coherence.

Furthermore, point of departure isn't exactly the same thing as a major
break in the story. The Maj Text use of hO IHSOUS in Mk 11:11/15 does not
fit the normal pattern for point of departure since hO IHSOUS is not clause
initial. However, hO IHSOUS in Mk 11:11/15 does suggest a disruption in
the flow of the story which isn't present in the NA27 text.

Over and beyond the question of discourse continuity I think that supplying
a redundant full noun phrase for global VIP reduces the glue (cohesion) that
holds the text together, particularly when there is no major break in the
story and no key action or speech is being introduced. It could be argued
that hO IHSOUS in Mk 11:11/15 meets one or both of these criteria and if
that is the case then NA27 has presented us with a text which lacks some
significant discourse level information.

My main point is we must pay attention to little details like the presence
of lack of hO IHSOUS in Mk 11:11/15 since the implications for discourse
structure are significant.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek, 2nd Ed.
 SIL 2000.