[b-greek] Re: SUNEKDHMOS

From: Puluka, Steve (SPuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 12:58:22 EST

on 12/1/00 12:07 PM, Steven Craig Miller at scmiller@plantnet.com wrote:

> The Sunekdemos is a Greek Orthodox prayer book. I can't really say much
> more about it than that since I've just started reading it. Perhaps there
> are some on this list from that tradition who can say more. It is fairly
> easy reading, with a lot of repetition. Most of the vocabulary would be
> familiar to anyone familiar with the New Testament.

The SUNEKDHMOS is a peoples prayer book. It contains the basic prayer
services and Divine Liturgy. There are portions of these service that vary
based on the day of the year. These variable parts are found in the Menion.
An abbreviated version of the Menion is included in the SUNEKDHMOS. This
allows a person in one book to pray all the Sundays and major feasts of the
Church. The text will also contain basic instructions on where to insert
those parts in the text as well (Rubrics).

Each Orthodox jurisdiction will have such a book in their own language. As
a cantor in a Slavic jurisdiction mine is in Church Slavonic. I have been
working with the Greek version of Divine Liturgy as an exercise comparing it
to the Church Slavonic. I never thought about this as a possibility. It
would be a good idea.

Steve Puluka
Chair of the Adult Education Committee