[b-greek] Re: hOPWS in Acts 3:19,20

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 17:27:20 EST

On 12/5/00 6:26 AM, Rosangela Lira wrote:

> Most part of the versions translate the word hOPWS in Acts 3:20 as "that"
> or "so that", but the KJV translate it as "when". I haven't found this
> acceptation in the dictionary. Is there any basis to translate it as
> "when" or the translation of the KJV is simply wrong?

I think it is important to note the construction: hOPWS AN ELQWSIN. As I
understand it, hOPWS (or hOPWS AN) with the subjunctive marks a final
(purpose) clause (cf. Luke 2.35; Acts 15.17; Rom 3.4). It is the equivalent
of hINA with the subjunctive when this construction is used to express
purpose. Louw-Nida has the following note on hOPWS and hINA:

"[hINA] and [hOPWS] seem to have similar meanings and in some contexts
appear to be substituted one for the other for stylistic purposes. It is, of
course, possible that even in the meaning of purpose [hOPWS] suggests
something of the manner or way in which the purpose is to be realized, but
it is impossible on the basis of existing contexts to make a clear
distinction between [hINA] and [hOPWS] when they serve as markers of
purpose."

Steve Lo Vullo