[b-greek] Re: Romans 8:11; Aorist Participles

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 10:29:35 EST

At 9:00 AM -0600 12/6/00, Michael W. Philliber wrote:
>I'm baffled about the two aorist participles in Romans 8:11: EGEIRANTOS &
>EGEIRAS. As I looked it all up in Wallace, I was confused about their
>temporal aspect. Is the first one antecedent and the 2nd one
>contemporaneous? i.e., is it 'yet is the Spirit of Him - after raising
>Jesus from death - lives in you, [then] when He raised Christ from death -
>will give life....' or am I totally missing the boat?

EI DE TO PNEUMA TOU EGEIRANTOS TON IHSOUN EK NEKRWN OIKEI EN hUMIN, hO
EGEIRAS CRISTON EK NEKRON ZWiOPOIHSEI KAI TA QNHTA SWMATA hUMWN DIA TOU
ENOIKOUNTOS AUTOU PNEUMATOS EN hUMIN.

I would say that the TEMPORAL indication of an aorist participle, although
most often anterior to that of the main verb, is really a variable; the
ASPECT of the aorist participle is, I think, far more significant. These
participles are both articular, i.e. substantival participles, and the
easiest way to convert them into English is with a relative clause. So I'd
makes these: "If the spirit OF THE ONE WHO RAISED Jesus from the dead
dwells in you, (then) THE ONE WHO RAISED Christ from the dead will
quicken/make-alive your mortal bodies also through his spirit which dwells
within you." In these instances I think we should understand the
resurrection as an event of past time enacted by one who can and will enact
that same event for believers in time to come.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/