[b-greek] Re: The ... aorist =neutral?

From: Kimmo Huovila (kimmo@kaamas.kielikone.fi)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 08:40:41 EST

Thanks, Randall, for throwing more light on the term neutral.

However, to quibble with terminology, this 'neutral' aspect is not
neutral, since it contrasts with both perfect and imperfective. A
neutral aspect is one that could be either perfect or imperfective (or
whatever aspects one's theory has).
At least this is how I have seen the word neutral used in aspectological
literature.

Stagg seemed to advocate the view that the aorist is aspectually truly
neutral, but even he is not so clear, as he sees himself within the
grammatical tradition, which tended to view the aorist (at least
somewhat) aspectually (though not using the term at the time).

Kimmo