[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor 15:54

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 22:09:14 EST

On 12/7/00 11:10 PM, Dmitriy Reznik wrote:

> Could you help me with 1 Cor 15:54: KATEPOQH hO QANATOS EIS NIKOS. How
> would it be correct to translate EIS NIKOS: as "in victory", or "to (for)
> victory", or somehow else?

It is possible that EIS is used here to indicate result: "Death is swallowed
up resulting in victory." This doesn't sound very smooth in English, though.
Perhaps some of the translators out there can capture the thought of result
in better English.

Of course, it is possible that EIS is to be taken spatially (albeit
metaphorically): "Death is swallowed up into victory," i.e., "Victory has
swallowed up death."

Steve